Fresh peaches are in season and my family is obsessed with this overnight French toast that uses 6 of these delicious summer fruits. Brown sugar, vanilla, ginger, and cinnamon meld to create the perfect complement to the warm peach flavors. This is the breakfast you want in your fridge when you have company. Serve it with coffee for a delightful morning repast that will have your guests oohing and aahing.
Overnight Fresh Peach French Toast
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 fresh peaches, sliced off the pit into ½-inch-thick slices
- 12 (3/4-inch thick) slices day-old challah
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon teaspoon ground mace
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, for top
- In a saucepan, stir together the brown sugar, butter and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish, and tilt the dish to cover the entire bottom. Place peaches in a layer over this sugar coating, then top with challah slices. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and ground ginger. Slowly pour mixture over the challah slices as evenly as possible. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove the dish from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking to bring to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F°
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
Lovely served with a bit of cream poured over the top, or top with a dollop of softly whipped cream.