Tapioca pudding is a taste of childhood. But adults love it, too! A revelation for the kosher cook that tapioca pudding, prepared with coconut cream, is even better than the standard dairy-based version. The coconut flavor comes through, and talk about creamy! So many parve desserts fall short. Not this one!
Creamy Parve Tapioca Pudding
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup small pearl tapioca (not instant)
- 2 1/2 cups coconut cream
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the water and tapioca pearls in a 1 1/2 quart pot. Let stand for 30 minutes or until the tapioca pearls have absorbed most of the water.
- Turn the heat to medium-high. Pour in the coconut cream and salt; stir until the coconut cream is just beginning to bubble around the edges.
- Reduce the heat to very low, add sugar and cook, uncovered, stirring, until the tapioca pearls have thickened, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot tapioca to temper the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture to the pot with the remaining tapioca; increase heat to medium and stir for several minutes until pudding coats the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let mixture boil or the eggs will curdle.
- Remove from heat. Cool pudding for 15 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and serve warm, or chill for several hours and serve cold.