This is a beautiful salad to look at and its fresh flavors wake up the palate for the rest of the meal to come, especially as the weather warms up. Delicious with crusty bread as part of a trio of salads, for instance, tuna or egg salad, and an avocado salad. It’s a lovely addition to your Shavuos table, too!
Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil Salad (Insalata Caprese)
Yield: 4 individual servings
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled
- 2 slices, each ¼-inch-thick (4 ounces total) mozzarella cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut each tomato crosswise, making 4 attractive slices; discarding stem and bottom ends. Place 2 tomato slices side by side on each of 4 individual salad plates.
- Cut each cheese slice into quarters that are more or less triangular. Put a triangle of cheese on each tomato slice. Top with basil leaves.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with vinegar.
- Sprinkle with salt and grind on some black pepper, to taste.