Everyone has a go-to chicken dish that is easy to put together on a hectic day or on short notice. This one is a favorite in our home. It is essentially my mother’s recipe, but I’ve amped up the spices to give it some punch. The seasonings are typical of the Eastern European Jewish kitchen. The gravy is delicious over rice, mashed potatoes, or carrot kugel.
Heimishe Roast Chicken
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 roasting chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large bay leaf
- Dried thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- Granulated garlic
- Sweet or Hot Hungarian or domestic paprika, according to preference
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In shallow pan large enough to hold chicken pieces, spread the onion slices to cover most of the pan and top with the bay leaf.
- Place the chicken pieces, skin side up, in a single layer, on top of the onions and bay leaf
- Sprinkle chicken with dried thyme, freshly ground pepper, granulated garlic, and paprika.
- Bake chicken an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, until juices run clear when a knife tip is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh and breast pieces.
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving.