If you’re on a gluten free or ketogenic (keto) diet, you may be stumped over what to eat for Shavuos this year. You could do a cauliflower mac and cheese, but Shirataki noodles, also known as “skinny noodles” or “glass noodles,” also make a good stand in for pasta. The advantage of shirataki noodles is that they are fast and easy to make, which is good news when you still have to cook all that regular food for the rest of your family.
Here’s my quick and dirty microwave recipe for Shirataki Mac and Cheese
Shirataki Mac and Cheese
Yield: 1 generous serving
- 1 pkg. shirataki noodles
- 1 heaping tablespoon full fat cream cheese
- 2 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse noodles very well. Blot dry with paper towels. Place in microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Top noodles with cream cheese. Put back in microwave for 20 seconds. Stir.
- Add grated cheddar, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix and microwave for a further 20-30 seconds until cheese is melted, and serve.
- May be briefly reheated on a Shabbos hotplate.