It’s hot, I was tired, and so I invented the easiest main course possible: roasted zucchini chunks with chicken patties I put together in minutes with ground chicken and spices. I stirred some quality mustard and hot sauce into some quality mayo, and voila, a sauce. This was very well received, which proves the point that you don’t have to slave to make them slaver.
Easy Keto Chicken Patties with Roasted Zucchini Chunks
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 5 medium zucchini
- 1 onion
- 5 lbs. ground chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- Olive oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Hot sauce (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Wash and dry the zucchini and cut off the ends. Cut each zucchini into 4, lengthwise, and then into half-inch chunks. Spread zucchini chunks in a single layer on a sheet pan with low sides.
- Chop onion finely and sprinkle over zucchini, reserving a handful of chopped onion for the chicken patties. Generously drizzle olive oil over the vegetables. Sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon oregano, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Place sheet pan in oven and roast vegetables for 20-25 minutes, turning to mix after the first ten minutes. Vegetables are done when beginning to brown and still have a bit of a bite.
- Meanwhile, mix ground chicken with reserved onion, ¾ teaspoon oregano, ¾ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon granulated garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Pour enough olive oil into skillet to fry chicken patties. The oil should be about ¼ inch deep. Place skillet over medium heat and heat oil for 2-3 minutes.
- With wet hands, shape chicken mixture into patties, and fry the patties on both sides, around 4 minutes a side, until golden brown, pressing on patties with spatula after about 2 minutes into the cooking of the second side.
- Drain patties on absorbent paper towels to remove excess oil.
- While frying the patties, make the sauce by mixing the mayonnaise and mustard together, and stirring in a few drops of hot sauce into the mixture.
- Serve chicken patties hot with zucchini on the side. Pass the sauce separately.
Variation: Substitute 3 green onions, sliced, and a tablespoon of chopped parsley for the reserved onion and oregano in the chicken patties.