Those of us on a low-carb high-fat diet are always looking for new and satisfying meals that fit the prerequisites of this eating regimen. While too much dairy can prevent weight loss, occasionally one hankers for butter and cheese. Hence the following recipe which I put together during one inspired afternoon: buttery soft cabbage served with crisp-on-the-outside, melty-on-the-inside Haloumi cheese fingers. You may end up converting others to your diet, after they see how yummy it looks on the plate.
Sautéed Cabbage with Haloumi Cheese
Yield: 2 servings
- 10 ounces shredded cabbage
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces Haloumi cheese
- Sauté cabbage and shallots in 3 tablespoons of butter, stirring until cabbage is soft. Season with cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Taste and if necessary, correct seasoning. Set aside.
- Slice haloumi cheese into fingers. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to skillet, and sauté the haloumi cheese, turning, until all sides are brown. The cheese browns very quickly, so keep a close watch.
- To serve, divide the cabbage between two plates and top with the haloumi cheese fingers.