Sometimes you want a nosh that is a little salty and pungent: something that wakes up the mouth. Marinated spiced olives do exactly that, and they’re keto-friendly, too. Something to keep in mind now that we are past the carb-heavy holiday of Passover!
Marinated Spiced Olives
Yield: 3 cups
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon
- 1 tablespoon brine from preserved lemons
- 1 tablespoon zaatar spice mix (you can substitute oregano, if you can’t find this Israeli spice mixture)
- 3 garlic cloves, run through a microplane
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups mixed olives (not pitted)
- In a small saucepan, gently heat all ingredients except for the olives. Pour the heated marinade over the olives.
- Marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to one week. Bring to room temperature for serving.