Everyone needs a no-fail, moist and fudgy brownie recipe and these fit the bill. Use butter for dairy, margarine for a neutral, pareve, and most decadently chocolate dessert.
Double-Chocolate Walnut Brownies
Makes 2 dozen. Can be doubled.
- 1 ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup cocoa (not Dutch Process
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Melt butter or margarine in medium saucepan over moderate heat. Remove from heat. Stir in cocoa with wooden spoon.
- Beat in sugar gradually with spoon until thoroughly combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; stir in vanilla extract. Stir in sifted flour until thoroughly combined. Stir in one cup of the walnuts. Spread into greased (or baking paper-lined) 13x9x2-inch pan.
- Combine remaining ½ cup walnuts with chocolate chips; sprinkle over top of brownie mixture, pressing down lightly.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350°) for 35 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.