Our go-to meat main course for company is this delectable pepper steak recipe. Served on rice or mashed potatoes to soak up the gravy, this is a meal to remember. Use the best wine you can find, and serve the rest of the bottle with the meal!
Yield 4-6 servings
- 2 lbs. shoulder steak, sliced thin (see note)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 green Italian frying peppers, cut into strips
- 2 onions, sliced
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ¾ teaspoon curry powder
- Sauté 1 clove garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Add meat and brown. Remove meat from skillet. Discard garlic.
- Sauté peppers, onions, and remaining garlic until tender. Add mushrooms, pepper, and salt and cook an additional 2 minutes. Add browned meat and wine. Cook slowly for 30 minutes.
- Stir in curry powder and simmer 1 hour.
Note: The meat should be sliced across the grain. Freeze slightly before cutting to facilitate a thin slice.