We are big into salads during the hottest days of summer. This potato and green bean salad is a particular favorite since it can even be used as a main course, thanks to the fact that combining potatoes and green beans turns the two into a protein. Thus you’ve got a green vegetable, a hearty carbohydrate, and protein, too. It also works well as a picnic dish, since unlike most potato salads, there’s no mayonnaise to spoil in the heat.
We make this hours ahead and let it sit out on the counter to marinate and develop flavor. You can let it sit for 3-5 hours and the salad will only improve. Enjoy!
Italian Potato and Green Bean Salad
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 pound small thin-skinned potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ thin green beans (frozen is fine)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot or onion
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- Bring potatoes to the boil over high heat in salted water to cover. Lower heat. Simmer covered until potatoes can be pierced with the tip of a knife, around 25 minutes.
- Peel and dice potatoes while still warm.
- Mix with remaining ingredients, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve salad at room temperature.