In the summer, no one much wants to cook. But we still like to eat, so this no-cook salad hits the spot in more ways than one. Palates tend to become jaded, dull, and sluggish in the midsummer heat, so we want things a little spicier which is why there’s a bit of heat and a bit of tang in this healthy bulgur dish. Serve it as a salad or as a side dish alongside cold, sliced chicken. It’s terrific stuff!
Yield: 4-6 servings
- ¾ cup fine-ground bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 lb. can of plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion or 5 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup of walnuts, chopped
- Blend tomatoes with their juices in a blender or food processor. Mix with tomato paste, add bulgur, and stir. Leave for an hour or until the grain is tender. If grain is still tough, add a little water.
- Add oil, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Just before serving, add onion and walnuts, reserving a bit of the nuts to sprinkle on top for a garnish.