Rice noodles, sometimes called “rice sticks” have become a staple in our home. They keep forever, are good for upset tummies, and can be cooked up in the microwave in the blink of an eye. Best of all, even a child can make them. Here is our cheater’s version of a filling comfort food type meal in a bowl.
Rice Noodle Egg Drop Soup
Yield: 2-3 main course servings
- ½ package thin rice noodles (rice sticks)
- 4 cups chicken soup (instant or homemade)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 egg
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Cook rice noodles in chicken soup (on stovetop or in microwave, in microwave-safe bowl) 3-4 minutes, until rice noodles are tender but still have a “bite.”
- While rice noodles are cooking, beat egg in small bowl with a fork, to blend.
- Pour the beaten egg slowly into the rice noodles and soup, pulling a fork through the egg as it hits the soup, to make long “threads.”
- Add lemon juice and optional Tabasco sauce to soup, to taste.
- Garnish with sliced scallions
- Serve hot.