Stuffed mushrooms make an elegant starter or even a side for any Shabbat or festive meal. They are a lot easier to make than you might suspect. I like to use frozen chopped spinach to save time. I just thaw and squeeze out the excess liquid before continuing with the recipe. If you have leftover filling, use it as a bed on which to bake the mushrooms.
Yield: Approximately 20 mushrooms
- 2 packages large mushrooms for stuffing
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess liquid squeezed out
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Herbed breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Clean mushrooms, remove stems. Place caps on baking sheet, hollowed side up. Finely chop stems, and set aside.
- Saute onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and sauté until golden. Add spinach, season with salt and pepper to taste, plus nutmeg. Mix and sauté until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps.
- Sprinkle stuffed mushrooms with herbed breadcrumbs. Drizzle mushrooms with olive oil and sprinkle the whole with salt and pepper.
- Bake mushrooms, covered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot.