Nothing goes with turkey and all the fixings of Thanksgiving like a sweet and tangy slaw with craisins. This one fits the bill, though it cannot be made more than 6 hours in advance or it goes all soggy and loses its crisp, crunchy, and craisin-chewy charm. A guest once described this slaw as “So good, it’s sick!”
Thanksgiving Craisin Slaw
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 red onion, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 ounces craisins (dried cranberries)
- Mix together cabbage and red and green onions in large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, pepper and cumin in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture; add dried cranberries and stir.
- Marinate the slaw, refrigerated, for 1 hour.
- Can be made up to 6 hours ahead.