Rosh Hashana is all about apples and hey, why not? It’s apple season. While we are sad to say goodbye to summer fruit, we are happy to welcome this new friend, which pairs so well with cinnamon. This kugel calls for a full tablespoon of this warm spice, so it is really for cinnamon lovers.
It’s parve. It freezes. What more could you ask from a yontif side dish?
Apple Noodle Kugel
Yield: 18 servings
- 1 lb. wide noodles, cooked
- 1/4 cup margarine or coconut oil
- 1 cup yellow raisins
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 1 lb. apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- Mix hot noodles with margarine. In separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add apricot preserves and blend.
- Stir egg mixture into noodles.
- Fold in raisins and apple slices.
- Bake in greased 9″x13″ baking pan at 350° F (180 C) 75 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool kugel on wire rack.
- To freeze: cool completely and double wrap as airtight as possible before placing in freezer.
- To serve, thaw overnight in fridge before reheating.