This awesome chili was concocted while observing a low carb high fat diet, but having developed a fierce hankering for a bowl of chili. Beans are high in carbohydrates, but we had two kohlrabi bulbs sitting in the fridge, waiting for me to become inspired. I peeled and chopped the kohlrabi, threw it into the chili, and voila! Low carb, but with a texture reminiscent of chili con carne with beans. It was so satisfying on its own, but if you like, serve it up with cornbread muffins (low carb or regular, as you please).
Low Carb Chili Con Carne with Kohlrabi “Beans”
Yield: 8 or more servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 kohlrabi bulbs, peeled, and chopped into small cubes
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 pound canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add kohlrabi cubes and sauté until golden, 3-5 minutes. Add onion, garlic and chopped jalapenos and sauté for another 3-5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add chili powder and salt and stir well.
- Add ground beef. Sauté beef for 10 minutes, breaking the meat up with a spatula until the beef well browned.
- Add tomato paste, paprika, cumin and coriander and stir well.
- Cook for 5 minutes before adding the canned diced tomatoes and the black pepper. Mix well.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and continue to cook, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately, or cool and store in the fridge for 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.