A lot of us are doing low carb diets, because, well, they work. It is difficult giving up all those favorite foods. Which is why it’s fun to find a substitute for a beloved Middle Eastern bulgur wheat salad, tabbouleh, made with raw cauliflower “rice.” We had it at our Purim meal: a perfect “nafochu,” something that is turned around, just like the Purim story.
Cauliflower Rice Tabbouleh
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch dill
- A few sprigs fresh mint
- 5 scallions, sliced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- Cut up cauliflower, separating florets from stalks
- Place stalks in food processor and mince to a fine texture.
- Add florets, mince
- Place finely minced cauliflower in a large mixing bowl
- Place sliced scallions, parsley, dill, and mint leaves in food processor, pulse until minced
- Add minced herbs and scallions, along with lemon zest, chopped cucumber, and tomato to cauliflower
- Add olive oil, stir to coat
- Add lemon juice and salt
- Taste and adjust for seasoning
Serve immediately or chill.