Craving the creamy comfort of a bowl of mac and cheese, but watching your carbs? This is a great stand-in for those who can tolerate dairy. We made this as a Shavuot side dish, and the non-keto diners were helping themselves to thirds!
Bonus? It’s a cinch to prepare. This may just end up one of your go-to dishes for weekday nights. Use as a side dish or as a main dish, depending on your personal druthers.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into small florets, stems roughly chopped, or one 2-lb. bag frozen cauliflower
- Oil spray
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Cook cauliflower in salted water until stem pieces can be easily pierced with the tip of a knife. Drain well.
- Spray an 8”x8” square pan with oil spray. Place drained cauliflower in pan.
- Bring cream to a simmer over low heat. Whisk cream cheese and Dijon mustard into cream. Add cheese, reserving ½ cup for topping the casserole, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Whisk until cheese is just melted.
- Top casserole with reserved shredded cheese and place in oven.
- Bake until casserole is bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes.