While it’s not really appropriate for the low carb high fat people, this hearty brown rice and tomato soup is easy-to-make, stick-to-the-ribs deliciousness. It’s also the perfect vehicle for lots and lots of grated cheese, so you get that lovely stringy melted cheese topping on every piping hot bowl of soup. We have this often in winter, to everyone’s approval!
Brown Rice and Tomato Soup
Yield: Serves 4 as a main course
- 5 cups parve beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup canned, cubed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated cheese
- Bring stock to a boil and add rice.
- Cover and simmer.
- In a frying pan, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- When rice has simmered for 30 minutes, add sautéed onion and garlic, cubed tomatoes, and salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer soup another 10 minutes or until rice is firm, but not too tough.
- Top bowls with grated cheese and serve.